For this richly panelled Library, we were asked to create stock and custom profiles in quartersawn White Oak. The beautiful rays and flecks of quartersawn Oak are highly desirable. The homeowner liked both the simplicity of a contemporary look and the graceful detailing of a traditional, both of which can be seen in this room.
• Shallow beams, made with our CO705 Traditional cove, create a coffered ceiling system.
• The frieze below the crown was custom carved and the design was taken from a motif in the rug that was to be in this room.
• Quartersawn White Oak plywood was used in each panel with our Traditional PM577 lipping panel mould at the panels’ edges.
• A simple wainscoat-like element was created with our PM613 separating the panel’s rails above from the plane of White Oak below.
• The base was made from 1x material with a custom base cap modified from a stock profile.
• Our CA393 Traditional casing was scaled down to 3” in width, and elliptical arches in the casing were made in our Custom Shop.
• A mantel surround was created using profiles found elsewhere in the room.
The result was a warm and inviting room which the homeowner will enjoy for many years to come. While using stock profiles is more economical, adding a custom profile or two, or having the mouldings made from a custom species can give a room a personal touch that makes it your own.